Although I hate to admit it, I think we are into the cold, winter weather! We were so thankful that the sun was shining today and the temperatures were not so bone chilling.
Thank you to everyone who was able to make it to the Parent Teacher meetings held last week. I hope it provided you with a brief window into your son or daughter's learning and the path as to which we are trying to take through Grade 1. If you would like to follow up your meeting with any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time. I try to keep Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings before school available for parent meetings as well as the occasional Wednesday or Thursday immediately after school, should you wish to meet in person. Please note that this is NOT a drop in meeting time, but times that can be pre-booked to meet with me (based on availability).; If you had requested a phone meeting, I am in the process of scheduling appropriate times to conduct them.
Big Ideas for this week:
Math: wrapping up patterning (repeating patterns, identifying core of a pattern, extending patterns, naming patterns); 2D geometry (naming shapes, number of sides, number of vertices), number talks (addition)
Language: reading sight word poem, building full and complete sentences, retell and summarizing stories, phonemic awareness (letter recognition and sounds)
Science: animals in the seasons (migration, hibernation, adaptation, burrow), nocturnal & diurnal animals
Health: Keeping our bodies healthy (mentally, physically, emotionally)
Music: Making music with our bodies, connecting music to patterning in math
1. Family Photo: Please do not forget to send a framed (small) family photo to school as a part of our social studies unit on family, community and responsibility. Students will be sharing their photo with the class as they describe their family (naming people & their position in the family i.e. My dad is Jim, my mom is Jackie etc). This is an important task for students to participate in as it is their first oral communication presentation to the larger group of students. All family photos and frames will be returned to you once we are moving on from this topic.
2. Popcorn Day: Popcorn day is every Friday (or Thursday if Friday is a holiday). Students can choose from 7 different flavours to enjoy at second snack time (afternoon snack time). Each bag sells for $1.50 and all monies raised goes back to student programming and workshops. Exact money only as we are unable track down change.
3. Extra Mittens: Please include an extra (or several extra) pairs of mittens or gloves in your child's backpack. There is no where for us to dry the wet mittens between recesses and it is imperative that each child be dressed for the elements outside. Also, please label BOTH mittens/gloves in each set as it is easier to return stay mittens than to try and find a stray mitten.
4. Holiday Celebration: The tentative date for the holiday celebration is Wednesday, December 20th at 9:30 am in the gym. Once the date and time is confirmed I will communicate that further. We are practicing another piece of sign language to perform during the celebration.
5. Extended Holidays: If you know you will be on extended holidays (or any holidays during regular school days), please let us know as soon as possible. Students missing more than 5 consecutive school days must provide WRITTEN notice to the school indicating the departure date and return date.
Hard to believe that December is right at our doorstep at the end of this week! Where has time gone?!
Have a great week!